Nest offers a safe and nurturing environment for healing. Our practitioners bring experience, understanding and compassion to your fertility journey.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) has been used to enhance fertility for centuries. Recently, studies have provided evidence that acupuncture and other TCM methods may improve outcomes by enhancing physiological processes that relate to reproduction and fertility.
Our practitioners have experienced firsthand how strongly TCM can positively influence the reproductive and endocrine systems. We have had the pleasure of helping hundreds of couples achieve healthy pregnancies at Nest and through our work with the world-renown Pacific Fertility Clinic (PFC). It has brought us tremendous joy to be part of this miraculous and meaningful journey.
During your first visit with us, we will take time to listen to your needs and goals. We do a thorough intake, looking at your health history as well as your daily life. From there, we thoughtfully create the right treatment plan to support your wellness needs and goals.
We utilize acupuncture, herbs, and nutrition to improve fertility. Our focus is on promoting a healthy, balanced state that is conducive to conception and healthy pregnancy.
At Nest, we work with patients that are trying to conceive naturally as well as with individuals/couples who are seeking help through Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART). We work closely with western physicians, including reproductive endocrinologists (REs), as well as consulting with a network of excellent health care practitioners who understand fertility issues.
All aspects of Chinese Medicine work together to promote a healthier and more balanced state, which will better lend itself to conception. TCM has been clinically proven to:
- Improve the function of the ovaries to produce higher quality eggs
- Regulate menstrual cycles
- Regulate the hormones to produce a larger number of follicles
- Increase blood flow to the uterus and increase the thickness of the uterine lining
- Relax and de-stress —so your body is a safe, cozy place for a baby to grow
- Strengthen the immune system/Increase energy
- Increase chance of conceiving
- Enhance the chances of successful implantation
- Decrease chance of miscarriage
- Improve quality of sleep and increase energy
Common Fertility Disorders Treated
- Elevated follicle stimulating hormone (FSH)
- Repeated pregnancy loss
- Unexplained (idiopathic) infertility
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Ovarian cysts & Uterine Fibroids
- Irregular and annovulatory menstrual cycles
- Luteal phase defect (LPD)
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Premature ovarian failure (POF)
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Poor egg quality
- Advanced maternal age
- Thin, unresponsive endometrium
- Almost any type of fertility disorder including spasmed tubes.
(Spasmed tubes are often relaxed with acupuncture, though blocked tubes will not respond to acupuncture).
Many women/couples wait to explore acupuncture and Chinese medicine until after they have already been trying for several months. While starting acupuncture at any point is still beneficial, we recommend three months of preparation to increase chances of a healthy pregnancy.
Why three months is important: It takes about 90-150 days for an egg to grow from a follicle in its resting state to a full blown egg ready to be released. Most women know how long it takes for an egg to develop, be released (ovulation), travel to the uterus, and then either be fertilized or be sloughed off in the process of menstruation. This cycle usually takes about 25-31 days in most women. But actually it takes more like three months for the egg to mature and that is why we want to spend at least three months helping to create healthy, quality follicles, balance hormones and get the body as a whole in the best condition for conception to occur.
Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART)
Many couples today are employing the assisted reproductive therapies of in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and intra-uterine injections (IUI). The addition of Chinese medicine to these therapies greatly improves the success of a pregnancy.
For those utilizing assisted reproductive technologies (ART), Chinese medicine can help:
- Improve the lining of the uterus
- Improve the quality and quantity of follicles (120 days)
- Significantly reduce stress associated with the cycle
- Decrease the chance of miscarriage
- Prevent uterine contraction post IVF embryo transfer
- Reduce the side-effects of IVF medications
- Improve male factor — volume, motility and morphology (120 days)
When Should Treatment Begin?
Patients are commonly treated for three to four months before an insemination, in vitro fertilization (IVF), or donor-egg transfer.
The Pre- and Post- Embryo Transfer Treatments
An important use of TCM during an IVF treatment is the treatment done on the day of the embryo transfer, also known as the Pre- and Post- Transfer Treatments. The chances of conception increase when acupuncture is given right before and shortly after the embryo is transferred to the uterus during an IVF treatment. Scientific studies have shown that this improves uterine artery blood flow, decreases uterine contractions, supports endometrial lining and implantation and increases pregnancy rates.
Preparing for IVF
Prior to embarking on any Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) treatments, we highly recommend 3-6 months of acupuncture to bring your body back to its optimum balance and get ready for conception. Typical changes you may sense quickly include: reduction in the stresses that interfere with ovulation, regulation of menses, and a general feeling of good health.
More subtle changes may eventually include a normalization of the hormones that regulate ovulation and allow an egg to be released, an increase in uterine blood flow improving chances of a fertilized egg implanting, or an improvement in ovulation cycles in women with polycystic ovary syndrome, to name a few.
All together, TCM will work to get your body in a healthier and more balanced state which will better lend itself to conception throughout your other Assisted Reproductive Therapies.
Pre-conception: Starting 3-6 months prior to trying to conceive; 1 x/week, is ideal.
Acupuncture w/ ART: Start 2-3 months prior. 1 session/week until stimulation cycle; At that time 2 x/week.
Infertility affects both men and women in equal proportion. Male infertility accounts for 40-50% of infertility cases, and is commonly due to low sperm production, misshapen or immobile sperm, or blockages that prevent the delivery of sperm. Illnesses, injuries, chronic health problems, lifestyle choices and other factors can play a role in causing male infertility.
It takes about 100 days for a male to create and mature sperm. Our treatment protocol treats you for this crucial period to balance your health and to improve your semen quality. During this time, we work on dietary and lifestyle modifications and often use supplements and Chinese herbal medicine to improve sperm health and overall wellbeing.
TCM has been clinically shown to:
- Significantly increase sperm production
- Increase the percentage of healthy sperm
- Improve sperm movement (motility)
- Improve the levels of hormones responsible for fertility
- Improve sperm morphology and reduce sperm DNA fragmentation
- Increase the rate of pregnancy